Attention to the physical environment of the school is a high priority, providing students with a home away from home, where beauty and function come together in a classroom that looks and feels like no other. Facilities include;
- Large well equipped classrooms.
- Dedicated library space recently constructed.
- Large full kitchen facility for the primary students.
- Kitchen area for pre-school students to prepare food.
- Art room
- Outdoor area for pre-school with ample natural features upgraded in 2012.
- Outdoor green space and vegetable gardens for each class.
Montessori East is run by the Eastern Suburbs Montessori Association (ESMA), a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee. The members of ESMA are primarily parents associated with the school. The ESMA Board of Directors oversees the management and operation of the school and supports the Principal in growth and development of the school.
The Board of Directors are:
Simon Johnston, President
Daniel Birch, Treasurer
Phillip Freeman, Secretary
Andrew Barkway Jones
School Principal: Bill Conway
Finance Manager: Leon Cohen
Annual Report 2016
If you are really curious about the finer details of the school read the Annual Report here.
The 2017 AGM was held on 19th June. A copy of the Constitution and the Certificate of Incorporation can be viewed here.
Our school receives per capita financial support from the following government programs:
Australian Education Act Recurrent Funding
Early childhood and Care Grants Program
Montessori East was incorporated in 1981 after first opening its doors 1978 with a small preschool group. We have grown through the years, occupying various sites, and our aim has always been to provide a more inspiring and nurturing environment for children to learn.
Vaucluse and Bronte 1978 - 2001
The school was started by a group of parents who were keen to see a quality Montessori school in the eastern suburbs. The first class was housed in the Wentworth Church Hall in Vaucluse and remained there for many years. Montessori East became more popular and outgrew its premises in Vaucluse, necessitating the opening of a second campus in Ocean Street, Bondi, which relocated to Randwick in 1994. All campuses flourished and in 1997 the first Primary class was opened, initially in a small room at the Vaucluse campus then later re-locating to a new site at Bronte.
Bondi 2001 to present
In October 2001 we secured a current site at Wellington Street, Bondi, making it possible to unite all programmes under one roof. The Vaucluse campus was closed in 2005. Today, Montessori East is a well-established school and still the only Montessori primary school in the Eastern Suburbs.
Montessori Schools around the world
Montessori schools first came to Sydney in 1915 after two Australians travelled to Rome to take part in the first Montessori teacher-training course run by Dr Montessori herself. By 1915 there was a Montessori school in Sydney, at Blackfriars in Chippendale, and one soon after in Pyrmont. In the 1960s there was a resurgence of interest in Montessori in Europe and North America. This renewed interest in Montessori schools also reached Australia. Montessori East is one of over 150 Montessori schools in Australia and a part of one of the single largest education systems in the world with over 22,000 schools in 110 countries.